Thursday, February 28, 2008

Robots and Puppets/Monuments and Saxophonists

     What does one discuss as an ice-breaker in an assignment like this?  The range of topics is almost too large to feel comfortable with, so I suppose I'll start my assignment with a brief list of some things that have peaked my interest lately.  My generation has the technological savvy to relay their passions, opinions, and experiences through a web log, but it seems awkward to do so under classroom conditions.  Having worked on a blog before, I know the content of most web logs as merely streams of consciousness.  Sometimes I'll discover a fierce stance on an important issue.  Other times I'll be reading a list of opinions, the likes and dislikes of the author's fancy.  To keep things simple and introductory, I will indulge in a list of things that have caught my eye over the last several weeks.  
     
     As a huge Jim Henson fan and an aspiring puppeteer, I have watched many episodes of the original "Muppet Show".  You know, the one with the heckling elders sitting in the balcony?  For the last year or so, Hastings has carried rentals of the first season of "The Muppet Show" (1976-1981), but I haven't seen any new seasons available.  Luckily, YouTube features a plethora of muppet clips.  Here is a demonstration of crocodile etiquette.   Everyone thinks that Animal is an incredible drummer, but he pales in comparison to swing great Buddy Rich.

     Why bother with puppets when you can have a violin-playing robot?  Toyota seems to be entering the robotics craze with the introduction of this musician model.  They have also designed wheeled robots for human or cargo transport, utilizing wheelchair design and the technologies made possible by Segway scooters.  This is a positive leap for Toyota, but they still have huge competition in the humanoid robot market.  This "simroid" model is used for training dental students and is human enough to creep you out.

     As a history major, I suppose it fitting to discuss current historical/archeological news.  This Associated Press article describes a recent discovery of the oldest known monument in South America (proven by carbon dating).  Found in modern-day Peru, this archeological find will raise questions about the origins of civilization in the Americas.  The monument is estimated to be 5,500 years old, contemporary with the ancient civilizations of Egypt and Mesopotamia.  

     Finally, as a jazz geek, I felt it necessary to include some links to live performances of a few of the greatest names in avant-garde jazz.  This John Coltrane piece is called "Naima", which was the name of his first wife.  There's a part in this rendition where the drummer starts what could be defined as a disco beat, although I don't suppose that disco existed at the time!  Here is a performance of Thelonious Monk's "Round About Midnight".  It seems this performance is taking place on some television program.  If any of you enjoy these artists, I would suggest hearing two albums: Coltrane's "A Love Supreme" (1965) and Monk's "Solo Monk" (1964).


2 comments:

Greg Scott said...

It scares me that they already have robots performing rudimentary music, imagine robots as advanced as the dental patient ones playing music, dare i say even, creating thier own music.

I swear to god one of these days those mother-frikken robots are going to take over everything human. There will be nothing left only what the master brain of all robots commands us obsolete fleshbags to do.

JWhitham89 said...

Go Coltrane! He is jazz great, that is for sure! I did hear about the assasination. That is sad. Tangerine is a great song, one of the few written by Jimmy Page I believe. I would also love to go see them live now but it would have been better to see them in their prime.